Victoria United Honours Eight Players
Saturday May 23, 2009
Eight Victoria United players have joined the Victoria Highlanders FC in it's inaugural season in the United Soccer League's PDL Division. In a half-time ceremony during its home opener on May 23, Victoria United honoured these players:
• Goalkeeper Dan Kilpatrick - Dan had a distinguished career with UVIC Vikes soccer, who were 2009 Canada West Playoff champions. He was Canada West saves leader in 2008 and shutout leader in 2007.
• Defender Paul Vandenboomen - a graduate of Niagara University, where he was 2003 MVP, Paul was part of the VISL Gorge FC Division 1 club who were BC Champions in 2001 and 2008. In addition he was Gorge FC MVP in 2007.
• Midfielder Craig Robertson - Craig was University of Calgary Rookie of the Year in 2005, Bays United Rookie of the Year in 2007, and part of the Victoria United team who were PCSL League Champions and Challenge Cup Champions in 2007 and 2008.
• Striker Patrick Gawrys - Patrick was VISL Rookie of the year in 2004. Relentless on the front line, he was both VISL and PCSL Scoring Champion in 2007. He is also a member of the 2008 Provincial Champions Gorge FC.
• Striker Jordie Hughes - a prolific scorer at Coastal Carolina University, Jordie was named to the 2005 NCAA All-American team. He has played on B.C. provincial teams for a number of years, and is presently a member of Gorge FC.
• Defender Rob Veenhof - was a member of the University of Victoria Vikes in 1996 who were CIAU Champions. In a long career with Gorge FC Division 1 in the VISL, he anchored the back line as Gorge won the Provincial Championship in 2001, 2002 and 2008, and also won both the VISL League Championship and the Jackson Cup 5 times. Rob was VISL MVP in both 2007 and 2008, and in 2008 was named British Columbia Soccer Association Senior Player of the Year!
In addition, we recognize 2 players who could not be here today, midfielder Joey Loreth and striker Steve Scott. Joey has played on B.C. Provincial Teams from 2002 to 2005, and the Canadian National Team from 2003 to 2007. Steve was VISL Rookie of the Year in 2006, PCSL Scoring Leader in 2005, and a member of the VISL All-Star team in 2007, 2008 and 2009.
These players have all had outstanding career with Victoria United, and we are delighted to see them step up to a wonderful opportunity - the next level in their soccer careers! Their home season starts tonight when the Highlanders host Abbotsford Mariners at 7:00 p.m. at City Centre Stadium in Langford.
On behalf of all the Directors, Volunteers, players and fans of Victoria United, we wish all these amazing players continued success in their ongoing soccer careers!
Go to Vic United News Archive